Does your smile require a dental extraction for improved health? Perhaps you have been thinking about aligning your overcrowded smile and have been wondering if removing teeth is a possibility. Whatever the case, we have discovered that the removal of a tooth can seem very off-putting to patients until they learn about the details. Find out how familiar you are with extractions (and gain some added confidence in the treatment) with a simple quiz.
Extraction Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: As a general rule, we suggest you receive a dental extraction when other restorative treatments will not be able to repair or rescue your tooth.
- True or False: We will always suggest you quickly follow your extraction with a tooth replacement solution.
- True or False: We only remove teeth that may result in severe infection.
Quiz Answer Key
- True. If we cannot fix the problem with other restorative options, like placing a dental crown, root canal therapy, or a dental filling, we will likely suggest removing the tooth with a dental extraction. Otherwise, complications from your damaged tooth may threaten your oral health.
- False. If you require a dental extraction for a wisdom tooth, you will not need a replacement. However, for all other teeth, replacing the missing tooth as soon as possible is essential.
- False. While severe infection is one reason to remove a tooth, we may also suggest an extraction in preparation for orthodontic care, to remove a wisdom tooth, or to remove a seriously damaged tooth.