Halloween week is coming to a close as we approach the big day. Here at the practice, we have been enjoying every single second of this celebratory time – how about you? Is your costume ready? Are your plans set? If so, we have a feeling some of your excitement revolves around some of the sugary deliciousness you are looking forward to gobbling up when October 31st arrives. Rest easy – we know that eating a yummy treat is part of the fun. However, since keeping your smile healthy is what we do best, we invite you to take a quick quiz to make sure you’re ready to have a fun night, while treating your smile with the dental hygiene it deserves!
Halloween Dental Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: The best way to protect your smile is to eat through your candy as quickly as possible over the course of several days. Then, return to your usual dental hygiene routine.
- True or False: On Halloween night, since you have already eaten a bunch of sugary candy, indulging in soda or other sugary drinks won’t make a difference.
- True or False: You should use more toothpaste and brush longer – improved dental hygiene on Halloween night is key.
- False. We suggest eating your candy in small doses. Eat it during a meal – as your dessert is always a good option – so you can immediately rinse your smile with water afterwards. After waiting a half hour, you can then brush for exceptional protection against problems like tooth decay.
- False. Adding sugar on top of sugar is a surefire way to keep your teeth coated, while feeding the bacteria that lead to tooth decay and gingivitis. Instead, we suggest you choose water to wash some of that sugar away.
- False. The usual dental hygiene method for cleaning your smile is best: Continue using the same amount of toothpaste and brush for approximately two minutes. The last thing you want to do is irritate your smile.